Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Panther's Wordy Wednesday

Panther writes:


I had surgery on Monday night!  I am now almost 1 year old, so it was time for me to be neutered.  Foster Mommy and Foster Daddy say that it will help me not pick fights with the other kitties in the household.  Good, because I don't want to be in fights anymore!

My foster purrents took me to the vet Monday afternoon, and left me there!  I was afraid, but I had a Snoopy toy that the vet place gave me.  Foster Mommy and Foster Daddy put their smells on it before they left, so I would have something to snuggle with that smelled of home.  The vet place does that for all the patients who have to be away from our purrents for any length of time.  I even got to take my Snoopy home, but I think I may have ruined it.  More on that in a few minutes.

About 7:30 pm on Monday, the people took some of my blood and then gave me a sleepy shot.  I felt so relaxed!  I took a nap, and when I woke up I felt something was missing.  I tried to figure out what it was, but I couldn't move like I wanted to.  The people said to be calm, and they petted me while I was figuring out how to wake up.  Finally, I was able to stand.  My balance was off and I wobbled around the cage I was in.  I found the food, water, and box, and took some sips of water.  After a while more, I ate something and used the box.  Then I took another nap with my Snoopy.  The vet people talked to me and sometimes I talked back.  I tried telling them I wanted out to follow them around, but they didn't let me out.  They wouldn't tell me where my foster purrents were, either.

I was able to go home on Tuesday afternoon.  Foster Mommy and Foster Daddy came to get me about 2 pm, just after the people gave me my medicine for my respiratory infection.  I wondered where Foster Mommy was, because she's the one who usually gives me that medicine.  Then, all of a sudden, there she was, and Foster Daddy, too!  I was so glad to see them; I talked for about 3 minutes straight!  One of the people came out to talk with them about my medicines and give her report on how I did.  She said I was a very good boy, and I finally found out what had happened.  I was neutered!  No wonder it felt different back there!

On the way home, I kept looking up through the mesh of the carrier at my foster purrents, just to make sure they were really there.  It was so good to see them again!  I was glad they were taking me back home with them.  I really didn't want to stay at that vet place anymore!

All of a sudden, I felt something.  Oh, no!  I chirped at Foster Mommy, then pleaded with her with my eyes.  She said it was ok, so I peed in the carrier.  I had been holding it in for a while, trying to wait until we got home, but I just couldn't hold it anymore!  It soaked through the carrier wall and got on Foster Mommy's shoe.  She moved me a little but she and Foster Daddy said it was still ok.  They knew I wasn't trying to be bad.  Foster Daddy told me that it wouldn't hurt the floor of the truck.  I was glad to hear that!

When we got home, Foster Mommy tilted the carrier a little so that the pee would drip out onto the driveway.  I watched it intently, then looked up at her to tell her that it had drained all the way out from under me.  Then we went inside, into the bathroom.  She put the carrier on one of Starla's pee pads and opened it up.  I checked with her that it was ok to come out, then Foster Daddy guarded the bathroom door while Foster Mommy took a bunch of wipes to clean me up.  Boy, was I ever wet and stinky!  Even Starla said so, from under the sink!  Starla didn't want me to come near, so she hissed at me, but I was more interested in getting that stinky pee off myself.  I helped by licking the tip of my tail and my legs.  I was more careful with the hurting spots, but I tried to clean those, too.

After I was as clean as I could get, I went out to greet my aunties and uncles.  Pretty much everyone came to greet me.  Auntie Freya watched over me because she could tell I was hurting and had been to the vet.  Tigress came inside and I wrapped one arm around her, then licked her shoulder!  I'd missed her the most of anyone, because she came from where I came from:  outside.  She was glad to see me, too, but surprised and confused by my hug.  She put up with me doing that, though.

Besides my Clavamox for my upper respiratory infection, which I still have a bit of, I also have Metacam for the pain and swelling.  The swelling has gone down quite a bit already, but it will go down even more with that.  I go back in a few days for a recheck and to get my boosters for my vaccinations.


The Island Cats said...

Panther, we all went through that. After a week or so, you won't even remember it. :)

The Paw Relations said...

We remember when we were neutered. It really is for the best and you'll feel better in no time.

Flynn said...

I am glad everything went well for you Panther. Mum remembers when me and Eric got neutered better than I do. We both had a reaction to the anaesthetic which made us hyperactive. We were literally flying off the walls chasing each other and galloping across her and dad. They tried to keep us calm but it went on all night.

Sparkle said...

I'm happy to hear you came through your neutering with flying colors, Panther! I am sending you purrs to help you heal from that and your leftover respiratory problem fast!

The Lee County Clowder said...

Hang in there, Panther. In a while you will barely remember this trip, and feel a lot better, too.

Don't worry about peeing in that PTU. Most of us have done something similar. Most beans can handle it. Hey, they grab us, starve us, and drug us. What can they expect?

animal lover, quilt lover said...

So happy Panther you are all fixed up now to have a happier life!!!
You should not want to fight with the other kitties any more!! YAY!!

The Indulged Furries said...

I'm glad everything went well during your surgery. I think you'll be much happier & mellower in a couple weeks once all those boy hormones get out of your system.

meowmeowmans said...

We're so glad you're all done with that, Panther. We know you'll be fit as a fiddle, happy, and feeling great soon. Hugs!

Katie and Glogirly said...

It will get better very fast, Panther!
We're sending you lots and lots of purrs.
Katie & Waffles

Timmy Tomcat said...

So glad things went well. I have had to let out a little wet before so do not worry. Our pawrents love us.
You will be surprised about how you feel now. You will be a lover not a fighter

animal lover, quilt lover said...

Happy Birthday Panther!!!
Happy Thanksgiving!!!!
Sorry Mom is not feeling good .. We will pray for her....