Friday, August 30, 2013

Foster & Feral Friday: Box? What's a box?

Panther writes:

Oopsie!!!  I did a big no-no!  There was a very scary thunderstorm on Wednesday night that lasted into early Thursday morning, and I did not like being soaking wet!  I meowed and meowed at the back door until the people let me in.  But then, I didn't want to go out again!  The man went to work, then the lady said she had to go someplace, too.  She tried to get me to go outside again, but I didn't budge.  She pushed me gently with her foot, but I put all my weight on my feet and stuck to the floor.  It's amazing how we cats can do that, even though sometimes we seem to not weigh anything at all!  I was very clear that I did not want to be that wet again!  She let me stay inside while she was gone.

Now, I've seen something called "the box", and I've smelled it.  I've even seen the other cats use it for their pee and poop.  The lady has put me in it and moved my feet to scratch in it, even though I protest that with all my lung power and splay all four legs out.  I just don't get what all the fuss is over this box thing!  What does it do?  I saw the lady take the pee and poop clumps out of it, but it just doesn't make sense to me.

I did what I do outside when I needed to pee.  I picked a spot that was out of everyone's way, under the dining-room table.  I squatted and peed, because I know I'm not supposed to spray inside the house.  That much I'd figured out already.  I don't understand why the other cats were so disappointed that I used that spot!  They even went directly to the lady when she came back and told her in no uncertain terms that something went wrong and they were disappointed.  They all wanted to be sure she knew that none of them did what I did.  Why was it wrong?

The lady sprayed some cleaning spray where I'd gone, then picked me up and "flew" me into the bathroom.  She put me in that box-thing and moved my feet again.  Auntie Dare sniffed my butt to let me know that whatever comes out of me there goes in the box.  I still don't get it!  I think I'll be going outside from now on whenever the people need to leave the house.

At least until I figure this box thing out.

8 comments:

Colehaus Cats said...

That's a tough one for sure. We've heard that some have an easier time using the Cat Attract litter (Dr. Precious brand?) and that helps making the connection. Good luck!

da tabbies o trout towne said...

panther.....ask yur mom ta put sum dirt N leeves in a box for ya... sew ya still feel like yur takin care oh biznezz out oh doors !!! hope everee one haza grate week oh end N hope de thunderz gone !! eat much perch :)

Sparkle said...

I was going to mention cat attract too. It's also possible that since he is feral, Panther doesn't like going where other kitties go. He may need to be isolated with his own box until he learns the ropes.

The Lee County Clowder said...

We're kinda with you on not getting really wet. Not fun at all, especially if there's no way to get out of the wet and dry yourself off.

We second the idea of a box of his own. If you can get some of his poop or pee, putting that in the box might get the idea across a little better.

Hang in there, Panther. You'll get things figured out eventually. (Until then, you'll likely spend the nights and alone times in a spare bathroom or someplace comparable)

meowmeowmans said...

Oh, we are sorry to hear that you're having these issues, Panther. We agree, maybe giving you your own box, and using Cat Attract will help. Paws and fingers crossed.

Furries said...

Hmmm, maybe you're trying to tell your mom that you want a different box from all the other kitties but she's just not getting it. Keep trying, she'll eventually figure it out. :-)

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

Oh my, maybe the people could try using sand in the litter box until you get the idea. We had to use sand when Charybdis & Scylla were little as Charybdis tried to eat the litter. She didn't try to eat the sand.

animal lover, quilt lover said...

Sparkle said it right~~~~~~~~~~~~~