Thursday, July 9, 2015
Daddy's a lifesaver!
We're so proud of our daddy! We've been hearing little birdies cheeping in the fireplace for a few weeks now. Our purrents said the birdies built a nest way up high in the chimney and the sounds were echoing down to us in the house. Daddy put a big piece of cardboard across the opening so that we couldn't get to them and they couldn't get in the house itself, in case they came down that far.
A few days ago, I woke Daddy up trying to climb the fireplace screen to see if I could move that cardboard piece. I could hear the birdies even clearer, and they made quite a racket! Their nest fell down into the fireplace! Our purrents put the junk mail in the fireplace instead of shredding it, but we haven't been able to light a fire for a while because of the nest. That turned out to be very lucky for the little birdies! There were four alive, and one that had been dead for a while. The four live ones let Daddy pick them up (with gloves, of course) and put them in the cardboard base of a water bottle package. They were flopping around and trying to fly, but couldn't yet. Mommy says they'd just gotten their adult feathers but hadn't learned how to fly yet. She said they looked like robins, and the nest was made of sticks. I thought they looked like fun to play with, but Daddy said ikke (meaning no).
Daddy took them out and put them up on the top of the roof so the mama birdie could find them. We heard them cheeping the next morning, so they survived until then and were calling for their mama. We hope they're ok now and have learned to fly! Please don't make anymore nests in our chimney, birdies! Daddy's going to put a chimney cap on it so they can't get in.