Saturday, July 23, 2011

Thinking of Skylar on his first Bridge Day anniversary

There really are no words that fully express what this last year has been like for our family.  Skylar was the first cat who ever adopted me fully, even before I adopted him.  He was my "heart cat", as one of my friends puts it.  He was everyone's favorite, the one who played with all our foster babies and taught them how to have fun.  His sister was the head of the household, but he was next.  When she passed, the new head of household (Rori) still deferred to him a lot of the time.  That alone tells you how revered he was in this family.

As I think about him today, and grieve once again, I will cry into the fur of one who looks and acts so similar to him that sometimes we have to stop ourselves before we call Heimdall by Skylar's name accidentally.  Heimdall was the name given to the keeper of the Rainbow Bridge in Norse mythology, so it's appropriate that we gave that name to the kitten Skylar sent us, three days after he journeyed.  Heimdall and his sister Freya are signs that Skylar is still watching over us every day, and will continue to watch over us on our earthly journey, waiting for us at Bridge's end.

Thank you to all our friends who have supported us through this past year.  We love you all!

7 comments:

Fuzzy Tales said...

Purrs, hugs and Light to you today. The mom understands the grief only too well and knows the heart never heals. There was a quote she read years ago about all the holes in our hearts being there to let the Light shine through, which seems fitting.

Peace and Blessings.

Sweet Purrfections said...

My thoughts are with you today. Even though I'm excited about my future furchildren, I still miss Sweet Praline terribly.

Mom Paula

Gemini and Ichiro said...

Our purrs.

Sparkle said...

Purrs and headbutts to you today. My human still misses the cat before me lots, and she has been gone over nine years.

The Island Cats said...

We send you gentle headbutts and purrs as you remember sweet Skylar on this sad anniversary.

Angel Prancer Pie said...

Thinking of you and Skylar today. Purrs and whisker kisses.

Memories of Eric and Flynn said...

We are thinking of you. The pain eases with time but never completely goes.